Thursday, October 4, 2012

Book Review: Here's Lily by Nancy Rue

Here's Lily by Nancy Rue is a children's chapter book written about a red-headed sixth-grader, Lily Robbins.  Lily has many ups and downs throughout the book.  She is the constant target of a school bully and her brothers are always picking on her.  She is hand-picked to attend a modeling class which her parents reluctantly agree to if she can identify how she can serve God in a modeling career.  Days before Lily's first fashion show a terrible accident occurs that has potential to keep Lily out of the show entirely. Throughout the book Lily learns that beauty and confidence is about so much more than fashion and make-up.

I thought it would be fun to request a children's book that I could read aloud to my girls from one of my blogging for books programs.  This was a stellar idea, except that we did not have a regular scheduled time to read together and I had to finish the book without them.  I'm sure we will return to it together someday in the near future, especially since I now know what a wonderful ending is in store for my girls.  It has been many years since I've read a children's book of this nature.  I was very pleased with the lessons in beauty, confidence and love for other people that the author wove throughout the story.  The back of the book includes an excerpt to the next book in the Lily Series, Lily Robbins, MD (Medical Dabbler).  I foresee that addition to our bookshelf soon after we finish Here's Lily.

Here's Lily is a good, wholesome read for the elementary girls in your life.


No comments:

Post a Comment